document numbering convention

Hope Kiser hkiser at lvl7.com
Fri Oct 8 12:58:16 MDT 2004

To: STC Carolina members

I need to come up with a document numbering convention for the manuals in
our software library.  This numbering convention would:

*       Be unique for each manual

*       Differentiate between manuals in different product releases

*       Allow customers to order a manual by a number, instead of by "long
title" for "software release 3.x.x".

I was thinking about some kind of letter & number combination, and would
like to have an (infinite) bank of numbers that I can assign as needed.  (Of
course, we have many manuals per software release.)

Do you have any ideas or suggestions?  What do you do at your company?

--Warmest regards,

  Hope

Information Development Engineer/Project Manager

LVL7 Systems, Inc.
100 Perimeter Park Drive, Suite H
Morrisville, NC  27560
919-865-2968 phone

hkiser at lvl7.com <mailto:hkiser at lvl7.com>

"Information Development creates high-quality documentation that meets the
needs of our customers."