usability of RSS feeds

Karen Mardahl karen at mardahl.dk
Sun Jun 12 06:54:00 MDT 2005

The STC announced the introduction of RSS feeds recently to SIG and chapter
leaders. One chapter is already using them:
http://www.stc-swo.org/stc-news/

I was surprised to learn that some technical communicators I know, inside
and outside STC, do not know what RSS is. Today, I came across an
interesting discussion on Jeffrey Veen's blog that discusses the usability
of RSS feeds:
http://www.veen.com/jeff/archives/000733.html#comments

I thought this topic was worth sharing with this list. It is an example of
introducing a technology without always explaining it to a larger audience.
Maybe the world of geeks :-) know what it is, but what does the Average
Citizen think when they see little orange rectangles on their online
newspaper?
The BBC understands this problem: http://www.bbc.co.uk/ Next to every orange
RSS button is a "What is RSS?" hyperlink. That leads to a fairly sensible
explanation at http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/help/rss/3397215.stm
My 78-year-old musician uncle may not understand it, but it's a start.

regards, Karen Mardahl