[stcusesig_l] Uxmovement: do nothing or go bananas?

Karen Mardahl k.mardahl at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 23:45:20 UTC 2011

Hi Caroline

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 12:00 AM, Caroline Jarrett <
caroline.jarrett at effortmark.co.uk> wrote:

> Have any of you come across this web site?
> http://uxmovement.com/

I recall seeing tweets about this site before. I just giggled over his
latest one where Joe Clark sums up his reaction to an article on an Ok [sic]
button with the comment: "Again: The word is OK or okay (rarely seen in
com­puter UI), but only to a for­eigner or an illit­er­ate is it Ok." The
word "scathing" comes to mind.

I was uncomfortable with the CAPTCHA article:
http://uxmovement.com/forms/captchas-vs-spambots-why-the-checkbox-captcha-wins/

I cannot comment on the server-side coding pros and cons, but he doesn't
seem to have done much research.
He dismisses those with JavaScript disabled without regard for insights like
you find in these two articles:
http://developer.yahoo.com/blogs/ydn/posts/2010/10/followup-how-many-users-have-javascript-disabled/
http://webaim.org/blog/screen-reader-user-survey-results/
The latter article states 75% don't have JavaScript disabled... but that
means 25% of survey participants do! The other article comments on actual
numbers of people behind the percents.

In other words, it looks like he is declaring things without a basis for his
arguments. Your "page of personal opinions, stated as absolute fact".

He reminds me of the content farm articles out there. I did wonder whether
he was a content farm in disguise. I may have slipped in the past, but I
will not retweet a content farm article unless it is really amazing, and
that is quite rare. Some have great titles making for great tweets, but if
you scratch the surface, they are empty calories.
I don't fight back by posting a comment on their blog. I simply don't give
them air time in my twitterstream.

That may be the wrong attitude for achieving your vision, Caroline. Silence
isn't persuasive enough to make him stop. Even a handful of faithful
followers is enough to keep him going.

Maybe it's a matter of picking _your_ battles.

Or turn things around if you are fired up. Maybe you could take a twisted
topic and make a case for the correct story. Write the Good blog post, with
a link to the bad one - and stating it's a bad one, but do it in a
pedagogical and constructive way.

I just read a blog post from a fellow UX bookclubber here in Copenhagen on
this topic. He's fed up with apparent Sisyphean battles (like taking on
Anthony Ms) and wants an environment where he is understood. Others thrive
on those Sisyphean tasks - "ah, the victory of winning someone over".
(At
http://usabilitybog.dk/olesblog/2011/02/jeg-er-ikke-l%C3%A6ngere-brugernes-advokat/for
the curious armed with Google translate for the Danish.)

In other words, some will never want to face that battle - too much draining
effort. You'll need to find those who dive willingly into these battles to
join you, Caroline. Maybe no one has confronted him with his inaccuracies
before. You could save a soul if you have the energy?

That's my mostly opinion and very little substantial stuff!

Regards, Karen