Sad news, Pat Kusch

Mark Barnett m_barnett2004 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 5 23:44:43 MST 2006

              Fellow STC WVC members and colleagues,

  On December 10, WVC volunteer and local technical communicator Patricia A. (“Pat”) Kusch, died of a heart attack at Providence St. Vincent Medical Center in Portland.

  In September 2003, Pat began taking writing courses in Portland State University’s Master’s degree program.  In fall 2004, she was formally accepted into the Center for Excellence in Writing technical writing program and was awarded a very competitive position as a graduate assistant.  She took on a number of projects, including writing for the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences web site, as well as teaching WR 227: Introduction to Technical Writing. Pat had recently returned to Intel as a marketing intern at the Jones Farm campus.

  Pat was raised in Aloha, and graduated from Aloha High School in 1972. She earned several associate degrees from Portland Community College, and attended the University of Portland on a music scholarship. Pat joined Intel in 1984, and then transferred to Albuquerque in 2000.

  She enjoyed her dogs and cats, loved to travel, and stayed active with hiking, skiing and roller-blading. She also enjoyed reading, learning and socializing. She was known as an accomplished seamstress, musician and singer.  Pat was a member of the Oregon Tualatin Valley Amateur Radio Club and the Washington County Amateur Radio Emergency System, where her call sign was KD5PZO. She also volunteered with the Society for Technical Communication, where she participated on the newsletter staff.

  Survivors include her companion of 10 years, Kevin Rock; her mother, Marie Kusch; and two sisters, Bernice Kusch and Debra Seigberg.

  A memorial service will be held Saturday, January 7 at noon at the Buxton Community Center, 22770 N.W. Fisher Rd., Buxton Or. 97109. For further information read the email below or contact Kevin Rock at 503-324-2960.

  Sincerely,
  Mark Barnett
  2005-2006 STC-WVC Chapter President

  Subject: Invitation
From: Kevin Rock <kevinrock at earthlink.net>

Dear Friends of Pat Kusch,

Saturday, January 7th we will celebrate the life of Patricia Kusch with a
memorial at the Buxton Community Center in lovely Buxton, Oregon.
Starting at noon we will share our anecdotes about Pat. She effected us
all in different ways but always left a lasting impression. There will be
food to share and folks who formed parts of the many facets of her life to
meet.

There will be a computer running a slide show application so you can see
some of her activities and photos which she took of her surroundings. If
any of you have any photos of her please scan them and bring them on a CD
so we can add them to the show. Later we can burn a few CDs of the entire
file so you can take them home with you.

Please bring any of the following:

- a dish to pass

- daffodil bulbs for me to plant for her

- daffodils in bloom (potted if possible so I can plant those too)

- a donation to defray a few of the costs.

Please come to enjoy the other people who knew and loved Pat. She had a
textured life which none of us knew in its entirety. By joining together
and telling our stories we will all learn far more about this woman whose
friendship we all treasured.

The Buxton Community Center is "easy" to find, but some directions might
make things easier for city-folk:

Drive Hwy26 westbound from Portland,
continue about 2 miles beyond Manning.

Take a right on Fischer Road
- about a 1/4 mile before the Hwy 47 Vernonia junction.

Drive about 0.5 miles north on Fisher Road to the Buxton Community
Center
- 22770 NW Fisher Road

Attached you will find a map to Buxton and its Community Center along
with a photo of our friend to help you along the way.

Sincerely,
Kevin Rock

Yahoo! Photos